Is coffee good for your brain health? According to science, yes it is!
Coffee is a very popular drink. As per the findings of a study conducted by the Harvard School of Public Health, 54 percent of adults in the USA consume coffee several times a day. It is not only pleasant for the taste buds but also comes with multiple health benefits.
It is loaded with antioxidants and its regular consumption has been found to be effective in combating type 2 diabetes and liver disease.
Experts now believe that coffee is beneficial for the brain’s health as well. It prevents damage to the brain’s cognitive abilities and aids in problem-solving skills. Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases are manifestations of poor brain health. However, the probability of these diseases can be reduced if coffee is consumed in moderation along with other brain-boosting foods.
What makes coffee so beneficial for the brain? Let us find out.
Brain-Boosting Ingredients in Coffee
Coffee is an incredibly rich drink. It is loaded with multiple bioactive substances that help the brain and the body. Most important of all are the antioxidants that prevent damage caused by free radicals. Here is a detailed analysis of the brain-boosting ingredients present in coffee:
- Caffeine: It is a psychoactive ingredient that gives a feeling of alertness upon consumption by stimulating the central nervous system.
- Chlorogenic acids (CGAs): these important substances help in regulating blood sugar levels and blood pressure. Elevated levels of these biological pathways are triggers for mental diseases that manifest during the later stage of life.
- Cafestol and Kahweol: these substances are found in coffee’s natural oil and they offer protection against cancer and liver diseases.
The amount and brain-boosting benefits of the above-mentioned ingredients are determined by how the coffee beans are roasted, the type of coffee beans, and how much coffee you consume.
How Does Coffee Positively Impact the Brain?
Coffee has a positive impact on the body and brain in the following ways:
Makes You Alert
- We all feel a surge of energy and productivity after consuming a steaming cup of coffee. Coffee is loaded with caffeine which is a stimulant and is responsible for firing up our brain. Intake of coffee alerts us and enhances our focus and productivity.
Coffee starts stimulating the brain about 15 minutes after drinking it and the alertness lasts for approximately two hours.
Gives a Dose of Dopamine
- Consumption of coffee is associated with increased levels of dopamine. Dopamine is a feel-good chemical. A dose of dopamine activates the reward circuitry of our brain and we experience higher levels of motivation.
Coffee acts as a neurotransmitter and prolongs our feelings of happiness and reward.
Improvement in Memory and Cognitive Abilities
- Some studies have shown that moderate consumption of coffee can help in memory consolidation. The ideal amount for this desired effect is 200mg of caffeine which roughly amounts to one cup of coffee. The effect of increased memory lasts for 24 hours.
Experts believe that since coffee acts as a stimulator, it increases the person’s focus and attention span. This helps in learning, imbibing, and memorizing things fast and the forgetting effect of the brain is reduced temporarily.
- Some studies point out that elder people who drink coffee regularly demonstrate better cognitive abilities and enhanced memory performance. It is believed that coffee charges up neurons which results in enhanced short-term memory skills and reaction times. This way, elders experience reduced pangs of forgetfulness.
Winter is here and it is time we all load up on coffee to keep ourselves warm and to extract all the brain-boosting benefits it offers. You can also take brain supplements such as NeuroActiv6 for improved mental performance and memory.
Boost Mental Energy & Focus
Discover how just one glass a day of NeuroActiv6 can increase focus, clarity, and mental energy.Learn More >>